Wednesday, September 29, 2010

In All My Years

I have learned a lot. I have. And I know that I only have 24.391781 years (that is correct to the day by the way) chalked up to my name, but that is more that some people have and those people might benefit from my life experience and knowledge so who am I to withhold it? So without further adieu—Life Lessons from Michelle will now commence.

Number 1- (This is some fairly recently acquired knowledge) There is a silent ‘i’ in the word adieu.

Number 2- Being genuinely nice to people for no alternative motive rather than treating them well is one of the best things you can do for yourself and for mankind. That may seem like a very broad claim, but I believe it. It is called loving your neighbor and it works.

Number 3- There is such a thing as miniature pot belly pigs and they will make you smile no matter how bad of a mood you are in. Go ahead, think about how bad your day has been and then look at this and try not to smile. 


Number 4- Handmade or thought-filled gifts trump more expensive, generic gifts every time.

Number 5- The world is not like Bolivar, Texas.

Number 6- You may have the best of intentions, but if you don’t follow through it doesn’t count.

Number 7- If you melt chocolate, and grind up some graham crackers and then dip marshmallows in the chocolate and roll it in the graham cracker crumbs you will have instant joy in your mouth and happiness in your belly.

Number 8- Marriage is tough. Worth it, but still tough. It is that whole living with another sinner thing that will get you.

Number 9- There are lots of people in this world that are beautiful and the more you get to know them the more beautiful they are. My mother is one of them.

Number 10- It is possible for your parents to be some of your best friends and confidants. I think America has this view of- you get married, move off, become independent, and visit your family on holidays because you should be able to make it on your own. I have a different view- get married, move out, support yourself, visit as often as you can and go to your parents for love and support and wisdom because they have made it on their own.

Number 11- If someone doesn’t have the kind of family that they can turn to when they need help, then adopt them.

Number 12- I don’t want to have triplets. They are cute and all, but dang- that’s a lot of work.

Number 13- Chocolate always wins.

Number 14- I think that Microsoft Paint can do a lot for a picture.


Number 15- Dress for your husband and no one else.

Number 16- The simple life is the best life.

Number 17- Smile even when you don’t mean it. You might just rub off on yourself.

Number 18- Not everyone appreciates engineering jokes.

Number 19- It seems like everyone else in the world has an accent except Texans, but apparently that is not the case.

Number 20- If you do anything that you have to hide from anyone, then stop doing it. (Unless it is like a surprise party or something.)

Number 21- If you hate big cities, working in one and driving to one everyday will slowly and painfully begin to chip away at your soul. Sometimes it will make you cry. But you have to remember that it is not going to be like this for the rest of your life and someday, Lord willing, your commute will be down the hall to your kid’s room to pick them up when they are crying and that will carry you through the traffic.

That’s all I got.

Michelle

2 comments:

  1. I second number 21! Mine is a little bit different though. If you don't like your job and hate going every day, just remember that you don't have to do it your whole life. You are doing it now to help pay off the house and save for your kids, which will be your full time job when kids happen. =)

    Great list! I also liked the smile one, I needed it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed it, Natalie. Did you know that JD and I are going through the Dave Ramsey class? We just finished week 4 which is the evilness of credit cards and the debt snowball. I am loving it!

    ReplyDelete