Thursday, July 29, 2010

Damsel

One quick thing before we get started. Miranda has been in Galveston this week with her job (punk) so that is why she hasn’t been posting anything. She isn’t a slacker and I haven’t forbid her from posting. She is just lying on the beach soaking up some rays and not thinking about us at all. We will now return to the regularly scheduled program.

 One thing that Miranda and I both love is shopping at garage sales, estate sales, yard sales, second hand stores, thrift shops, and the Downtown Mini Mall I & II on the square in Denton (they really are a category all their own). I would imagine that any given week I will wear at least 2 outfits from Goodwill.

 Miranda’s birthday was July 10th and she was going to come spend the afternoon in Bolivar after the early bird showing of Despicable Me. So where else would I go to find her a birthday present than Goodwill? I am just that good of a friend to try to find the perfect $3 gift for my best friend. I just love her that much!

I perused Goodwill for the perfect gift that just screamed, “Miranda!” and 45 minutes later I walked out with a skirt for myself and a new set of dishes, also for myself. Hey, I was fixing her dinner and taking her to a movie and she got to see me for a whole day- I didn’t want to spoil her. (Just kidding Maru, you know I love ya!) The skirt is great, but the real story here is the dishes.

 

When I saw these on the shelf my heart skipped a beat. They were beautiful, bountiful, and $12! $12 for a 41 piece set. I took a picture of one of the plates, sent it to JD, and then called my husband to see if I could buy them. The conversation went something like this:

 
Me: Hey babe, whatcha doin’?

JD: Oh, not much, just sitting here being ridiculously good looking. (It was something like this. I can’t remember exactly what he said.)

 
Me: Cool. So, did you get the picture I sent you?

 
JD: Um, yeah. Why did you send it to me?

 
Me: Well, there are some plates here that I really like and they are only $12! Can I get them?

 
JD: Sure, if you really want them.

 
Me: Thanks! [In a quieter voice] It is a 41 piece set.

 
JD: Wait, what? 41 pieces? Where are you going to put them?

 
Me: Thanks, babe! You’re the best! I love you! You are just too cute! I’ll call you when I’m leaving. Bye!

 
As I was standing in the check-out line the heavens opened and rain poured down. I took it as a sign of the Lord blessing my beautiful purchase. Then I had to load all the dishes into my Jeep in the pouring rain which some might mistake as the Lord’s judgment of my purchase, but those people just need to have a little bit more faith and perseverance.

So I got my new dishes home and immediately started playing with them and mixing and matching with my Fiesta ware. They go beautifully together! It was meant to be! The only color they don’t work with is the shamrock green- they clash. But that is ok because I have three other colors to play with!


 
They also go great with my aqua Bubbleglass. I l-o-v-e my Bubbleglass glasses. Here are the margarita glasses:



Aren't they so fun? They have tumblers and tea glasses and pitchers and beer mugs. Everything! And they come in a couple different colors too!I did some research on the inter-nets to see what I could find out about the pattern and the maker of my new dishes.



After some incredible investigative work I found out that these dishes were made in the 60’s in Ohio and the pattern is called Damsel. I kind of like that name, Damsel. (Note to the readers: At this point in writing this little story I did a Google image search for ‘damsel in distress’ not a good idea. I don’t recommend it.) I also discovered that one plate sells for $9! After some more research I discovered that my $12 buy is actually worth more than $100 easily!



So really I saved us money by buying these dishes. They are an investment. Of course if they are an investment it means that I would have to sell them to get my money back and that ain’t happenin’! So maybe we will just stick to the whole “saved us money by buying these” part.

 
Because I love them.


And never want to part with them.


Your damsel in distress (but not that kind!),

 
-Michelle





6 comments:

  1. I adore the plates! And Josh and are some thrift store shoppin, goodwill gettin, yard sale lookin, antique mall (1 and 2) lovin fools! I got a pair of brand new gaucho capris at the gville goodwill and some milk glass (heart!) for $6!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finds! The skirt I got was from The Limited, I don't think it had ever been worn.

    Where is the Goodwill in Gainesville?

    Oh, and how do you talk your hubby into going with you???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha... he's an even more avid "junker" than myself! He pores over every little item in every antique/thrift store. He always tells me, ok I won't look at EVERYTHING. I have a quick eye and it doesn't take me long to see if there's something worth while and I get impatient with him at times. The Goodwill in Gainesville is on Hwy 82, umm I'm awful with directions. If you're headed East toward Sherman it's on the right a mile or so past the KFC... stop laughing. It's small, and sometimes crazy overpriced but every once in a while we snag some good finds, other times not so much. I found a pair of BCBG heels BRAND NEW at the Denton Goodwill not long ago. They still had the stickers on them :) And if your hubby doesn't love "junkin'" as we call it, you can always provide the beer incentive to get him to tag along. Junkin' and beer... sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, my husband is the same way. He takes way longer looking at everything and I get impatient with him. Mostly because the kids are with us and they are getting impatient too. And my Mom loved the G'ville Goodwill! She said it was small but often had better stuff than Denton. My husband and I are going to be junkin this week. Need to find a coffee table I can turn into an ottoman.

    Shell, love the dishes. You are so clever. I wouldn't by them because of the patter but to put them with your other dishes made them even more AWESOME!! And your conversations with your husband crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love those plates. They are beautiful. Love me some 60's kitchen items. That's pretty much where I bee line to at thrift stores and estate sales.

    ReplyDelete