Friday, July 23, 2010

Fiesta-In-Your-Mouth Tacos


I like to cook.  I get my cookin' talents from my Mom and Mimi.  I thought everybody's mom cooked like my Mom until I started going to other friends houses and tasteing their Mom's cooking.  Basically, my Momma's cooking beats your Momma's cooking, I should put that on the back of my car.  Anyways, I come from a big family of six and over the years of living the house I've had to figure out how to go from cooking for six to cooking for one.  My friends and roomates have been happy that normally I still cook for six and then feed whoever is around, and if nobody is around I just freeze the rest in individual portions.  


Okay, so onto the fab tacos...I found this recipe in Real Simple and then put my twist on it.  Stuff you need...


-Pkg Frozen Corn
-Bag o'Spinach
-Cilantro
-Lime
-Extra Firm Tofu (found near the Fruits and Veggies by the herbs and stuff.  You may be thinking "What! Tofu! Psssh, thats only for silly hippies or health food yuppies."  No, people who wear shoes and who don't run a zillion miles a day eat it also!  You can substitute chicken, but you should try the tofu.  It's yummy, actually looks like chicken, and you feel more world traveler-like when you eat it.)
-Season Salt (Lawry's, b/c all the cool kids use Lawry's)
-Chili Powder
-Cumin (If you've never used this before once you smell it you'll be like "So this is the spice they put in every Mexcian dish!")
-Salsa
-Tortillas
-Feta Cheese
-Olive Oil




Okie doke, get the tofu out.  Take it out of the package and put it on some paper towels and then pat it until it's drier, won't be totally dry but won't be sopping wet.  Yes, it looks quite odd and non-appetizing, just trust me...


 

Alrighty, in a big skillet (b/c you are going to add a lot of stuff) heat up about a Tbsp of Olive Oil on Med-High heat.  After, it gets warm put the tofu in.  Now it's consistency is kinda like scrambled eggs, use your spatula to start cutting it up into little cubes or whatever shape you want.


Now, start adding some flavor, put like a tsp of chili powder, tsp cumin, tsp of season salt in there and keep stirring.  Prob, let it cook (keep turning them every so often) for a few minutes.  

Now add some corn, about two to three handfuls.  You can always add more.  Let that cook through about 2-3 min's.  

Then dump the whole bag of spinach, if you love spinach you might even put some more in.  It will prob be overflowing from the skillet but spinach cooks WAY down.  Also, throw in a big spoonful of salsa, and a handful of cut up cilantro.  

You can't really mess this up.  Keep stirring all of this together until the spinach cooks down.  Once, the spinach is looking good you're pretty much done.  BUT at this point you need to taste it and if it doesn't have enough flavor do a spice shower of all the spices and taste again.  OH, and you can squeeze some lime juice in there to give it some zest.  It should look something like this...




See doesn't the tofu look like chicken.  While this is cooking you can heat your tortillas so they'll be nice and warm.  My Mom taught me a trick of wrapping them in a moist paper towel so it steams them while they're heating up.  Top your tacos with salsa and feta cheese and Viola!  You're done! End product will look something like this... 
OPEN
CLOSED 


The tacos are so magical when you close them they change the color of your plate.  Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. haha. i love your end sentence. :) i will have to try these sometime!

    ReplyDelete