Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rodeo, Chiggers, Uptown, and a Shower

Last weekend was exciting for John Darrin and me. It included a trip to St. Jo, Texas, to watch the rodeo Friday night, hauling square bales with my parents Saturday morning, going to visit Miranda in Uptown Dallas Saturday night, a baby shower for my sister-in-law, Candace, Sunday afternoon, and church Sunday night, followed by dinner with a bunch of crazy musicians afterward.

It is always very interesting to me when you have a day like our Saturday that includes the dichotomy of hauling square bales in the morning and then walking around Uptown at night. We had a blast. Here are some interesting things that I learned and observed throughout our weekend.

1. While sitting on metal bleachers in the middle of a lightning storm might not sound like a good idea, if everyone else is doing it- I will do it too.

2. Sunsets after storms are incredible.

3. My camera doesn’t like trying to take pictures of quickly moving objects in low light settings. Thus, so forth, hence, and such as, that is why you aren’t getting to see any rodeo pictures. They all look like this.

4. Even if you spray yourself with Off you will still end up with seventeen chigger bites after hauling square bales.

5. If you don’t have Chigarid for your bites use clear fingernail polish.

6. If you don’t have clear fingernail polish, use bright orange. It worked for me.

7. Before you cover yourself with orange dots, ask your mom if she has Chigarid- ‘cause she probably will.

8. Orange dots look silly on my legs.

9. Orange is not my color.

10. Where pants to Uptown when your legs are covered in orange dots.

11. Uptown Dallas is nothing like Downtown Bolivar.

12. They have much nicer vehicles, haircuts, legs, tans, eyebrows, restaurants, vehicles, sidewalks, liquor stores, apartments, parking garages, and vehicles in Uptown. In Bolivar, they have nicer attitudes.

13. Oakcliff is fun to drive through, quickly.

14. There is one place in Oakcliff where they have every soda you could ever think of in a glass bottle for sale. JD got RC. I got a Yoo-Hoo. Miranda got Dylan Bottleworks Cane Cola. Elissa got Orange.

15. I love Yoo-Hoo. They have that in Bolivar too. I am super-adventurous.

16. This is the Dallas skyline:

17. See the tall building in the middle? My grandpa built it. (Not Reunion Tower, the other one.)

18. The houses in Highland Park are huge. Some of them are beautiful, some are not. Which just goes to show you that money doesn’t buy good taste.

19. Rich people get toilet papered too!

20. The pizza place just down from Miranda’s apartment is awesome and BYOB. So we went to the liquor store next to the pizza shop and bought beer for Miranda and John Darrin. They gave us a bucket of ice for it.

21. Miranda got some kind of cider beer. John Darrin got Lonestar. They are both gross to me.

22. I got water because I am a loser and the only alcohol I like is the kind I can’t really taste- like in a Margarita or Peach Daiquiri.

23. I really can’t believe that I spelled Daiquiri right on the first try.

24. It was at this very table that we thought of a shirt for Miranda to help with her sometimes being socially awkward. It would say, “No, I don’t have Aspergers. I am just artistic.” But I have thought of a revision for the shirt: “No, I don’t have Aspergers. I am just artistic. You might have thought that I had Aspergers because I sometimes come across as socially awkward and that is one of the symptoms, or you noticed me not picking up on social cues and possibly lacking inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' body language, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking, which seem like things that I struggle with sometime, but really, I don’t have Aspergers. What’s that? You have to go call your mother? Ok, I will just wait here for you. Or would you like me to come along? I’m really alright with either.” I think it is perfect for her.

25. I’m totally kidding. I love Miranda with all my heart. Her awkwardness is very dear to me.

26. Then we went to Yogurtopolis, or something like that, and did the whole pick your yogurt and toppings and pay by the ounce. Here are our three yogurts:

27. John Darrin got Cappuccino yogurt with Butterfinger topping. Miranda got Avocado, Taro, and Cake Batter yogurt with Mochi, strawberries, blackberries, kiwi, and crushed graham cracker .I got chocolate with mini gummy bears. I then proceeded to eat all the gummy bears and make John Darrin finish my yogurt.

28. Miranda is braver than me when it comes to eating. Heck, Miranda is braver than me when it comes to most things.

29. I like Uptown. It is nice.

30. I love Bolivar. It is perfect.

31. Candace’s belly is huge and she has an alien in there. You can sit and stare at her belly and see it moving around and trying to break out. It was creepy- the belly moving, not me staring at her. I am ready for that thing to be out of there. I can’t imagine how ready Candace is!

32. Candace’s shower was beautiful! The hostesses, Julia, Karen, Cindy, and Jessica, did a great job!

These were her invitations:

33. Cindy Swank made the most beautiful cake for Candace’s shower (so she says) and even put it in a Candy Haven box to make it look all professional and everything. It matches the nursery bedding.

34. Candace’s doctor told her she is a two. Mom told her that she has always been a 10 to her!

35. IF I were a cussing kind of person there is a certain nickname that I would have for Candace. Cand-Ace. Candy-Ace. Candy-A… you get where I am going with this. So instead I call her Candy Butt. It cracks me up. I don’t think she thinks it is as funny as I do.

-- Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment