Monday, August 30, 2010

Snow on the Prairie

Before writing this post, I had to ask Memaw (my dad’s mother) if our family was the only family that called Snow on the Prairie, Snow on the Prairie, or if that was the universal name. This is a very important question to ask you see, because there are some names our family has for things that are not universal. For instance, inch worms. The green ones with little round heads that look like this: 

A "Brother"

My dad calls these “Brothers” always has. Memaw can’t explain it. He just started calling them that one day and never stopped.

Or the little black and white jumping spiders. My ENTIRE life I have called those Oscar spiders, because their name is Oscar Tewilliger and they are a spider. Oscar spiders. That is just what they are. But alas, I found out in college sometime that they aren’t actually Oscar spiders to the rest of the world. The first time I called one an Oscar spider in front of a non-family member I got one heck of a funny look. This name-change we can blame on Memaw. She is the one who named them Oscar Tewilliger Spiders, and what Big Momma says goes. Needless to say, I now and forever will call them Oscar Spiders.

The first time I was giggling uncontrollably in front of JD, I apologized and told him I had the ya-yas. He looked at me with a confused expression and said, “You have the what’s?” The ya-yas. You know, it’s late at night and you laugh at everything whether it is funny or not and then you try to stop and you laugh even more and maybe snort? You, my friend, have the ya-yas.

Oh, and he didn’t know what  a bo-bo was either! Even when I pointed to my hiney and said, “You know, my bo-bo.” Still didn’t get it. Some people are just sheltered I suppose.

But, Snow on the Prairie is why I am writing to you today. Snow on the Prairie is a weed-wildflower thing that grows here in the late summer. Memaw told me that there is also Snow on the Mountain that looks very similar, apparently they  have a different petal shape. Memaw also told me that the actual name is Snow on the Prairie and that isn’t just some name that our family made up. Snow on the Prairie is very aptly named because when it is growing all throughout a pasture it looks like snow, on the prairie. See how that works? 

What is ironic about the name is that Snow on the Prairie grows and blooms in August, when it is 100+ degrees outside. I think it is God’s way of reminding us that there is cooler weather coming. It is a way of saying, “I know it is as hot as blazes out there now, but someday there will be snow on the prairie again.” It is like our own Texas rainbow; a promise from the Lord that he will not wipe man from the face of the earth by scorching them to death.

Or maybe this is just a coping device that I made up.

This is a close-up of the flower (weed as Papa Bear would call it).

Snow on the Prairie

Pretty, isn’t it? Now picture this multiplied times 1000 and spread all across a pasture at sunset. Having trouble? Allow me to help…






That is Snow on the Prairie, and it makes me smile.

Adios,
Aunt Michelle (that’s right I’m an aunt!)

2 comments:

  1. "It is like our own Texas rainbow; a promise from the Lord that he will not wipe man from the face of the earth by scorching them to death." My favorite line. :)

    I miss the heck out of you darlin. And hearing about Texas warms my heart - without scorching it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Leigh Kay!I miss you as well. You are just a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete